2015 is here! The start of a new year is the time we think about starting things. This year why not start to study the Word of God. Begin to build a relationship with the one that created you and knows exactly what you need. Here are a few ideas you can morph into your for 2015:
- Start a new Bible Reading Plan – There are tons of them out there but be sure to start one that is not overwhelming. Ask God to help you stick to it every day. Your life changes when you are in the Word of God every day. To start your plan:
- Download a Bible Reading Plan and put it in your Bible and in your car. That way when you are stuck in traffic you can read from your smart phone or a pocket Bible you place strategically where you can get to it.
- Pick a Bible translation you can read and understand. While the Holy Spirit is the key to understanding and knowledge, it is easy to get discouraged if you have no idea what you just read at the top level. The Bible you use this year may not be the one you use five years from now. Pick a translation that makes sense to you now. Our blog post that outlines the various translations is a good place to better understand the different translations. I use the NASB or MEV when I study now, but years ago I started with an NIV and it was exactly what I needed at the time.
- Be sure to pray before you start. The Holy Spirit is the key to understanding the Word of God. Ask him to be with you as your read and to fill you with the application of the passage to your life.
- Schedule it. Set a time and a place to read the Bible every day. If you miss it, make it up the same day if possible. Doing it first thing in the morning will start your day right.
- Join a Bible Study. Through your local church, a community Bible study or even an online blog can get you going. Both Beth Moore and Kay Arthor have loads of information on their sites. CBS Community Bible Study is also a nationwide study that is non-denominational and interprets scripture with scripture.
- Memorize Scripture- Even if it is one verse a month, write God’s word on your heart. The Holy Spirit will bring it to your remembrance when you need it the most.